Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy A Book



Top Ten Tuesday is an original meme hosted and created by The Broke and the Bookish

This Week:  The Top Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy A Book

1.) Mythology

I am a huge fan of mythology, whether it be Greek, Norse, Egyptian, etc.  There is just so much to do with all the different gods and creatures.

2.) Bad Boy

Oh, how I love me some bad boy.  I love the broody, dark, mysterious, angry guy--I can't get enough of this character.

3.) Macabre

I love when ya books take a turn to the gothic and macabre.  There just aren't enough dark ya books out there!

4.) Horror

This is something that I have recently started loving.  Normally, I am a fraidy-cat, and I don't go near anything that might scare me.  But, since Anna Dressed in Blood, I am always on the look out for the next ya horror book.

5.) Retelling

I am a huge fan of retellings, like the Persephone/Hades myth, or Edgar Allan Poe stories, or fairy tles.  I love when authors modernize these old stories. 

6.) Spies

I've just recently started loving spy books, and there are so many older series that I need to catch up on that focus on spies!

7.) Different paranormal creature

Okay, so those aren't the exact words, but if I find a book that focuses on a new paranormal creature, or one that isn't done much, then I jump for it. 

8.) Other worlds

I love when settings are something other than our reality.  New worlds, alternate realities, outer space--I find all these settings intriguing.

9.) Dystopian with a flare of paranormal

I'm a huge fan of paranormal romance books, but I get tired of the same old, same old.  So, when an author adds the element of a dystopian society to the paranormal, then it's definitely a book I am going to try out.

10.) Light-hearted contemporary romance

I am not a fan of the contemporary novels that focus on tough issues such as suicide, abuse, rape, etc.  But, I do love the light-hearted, feel-good romances like the ones Stephanie Perkins writes.  If a book is the cheerful, summery type of read; then it's one that will definitely end up in my collection.